Thursday, November 13, 2008

bats and ants...

So life in Australia brings some interesting days of wildlife, I have seen deadly spiders and snakes, koalas and kangaroos- but most recently I have a HUGE fruit bat living in my tree. I, along with my best friend who lives two doors up have named him Charlie. I thought I was o.k. with Charlie, a few sweeps over my head was a bit much, but naming him made me feel more relaxed with his friendly but still shy nature. Tonight after a walk with my gorgeous beau we realized that there are about three HUGE bats living in my tree. I'm honestly not sure if I can put up with this much longer. The tree to which I refer to as mine is located at my bedroom window. I have a thin screen which, every night separates me from Charlie and mosquitos. This screen however does not separate Charlie and his HUGE wingspan flapping or his sonar pitched squeaks that my human ears can hear from penetrating the screen and entering my personal space. One might say Charlie should just come on in... maybe not! In fact Charlie right now is flapping around. Its the sound of a king size bed sheet flapping fast in the wind, or maybe a cotton handkerchief drying from your snotters outside your driving car window. Its interesting. 

Next on the wildlife agenda is the ants. In my first year of college within two days my whole kitchen was some mini battle field of armed ants. I promise there must have been a few thousands ants eating everything in sight. I know that this is going to sound funny to those who only view ants a few times of the year but ants in australia are ferocious, also very big on occasion and some are human flesh eating, they are red and probably one cm tall. I had to hose my whole kitchen down and drown the suckers. Thankfully the ants present in my bathtub right now are small, black and not that ferocious. Anyway, for the past three days i have noticed a group/army of these small critters parade themselves in my bathtub. Not really that scared of them getting far, I have no idea what they intend to eat to survive- maybe some herbal essence?? However, tonight I saw all these little black dots in the tub. I thought awww so cute they actually sleep- but then realized they had all died. The moral of the story is... emmmmmm we will get to that later. After studying some scriptures on Ants in Proverbs and some real life ants in my bath I see that they are diligent creatures. The bats are too- but they don't really do much, they flap around and get restless, but their team work sucks. The ants have gained ground in a matter of days, sought out their mission in life and have succeeded in biting out a home in a bathroom tile for safety. What great and fascinating stuff!!! I just wonder why they died? this might not be the actual reason, but I want to indulge for a few moments. I believe that we... Christian soldiers can either be like Ants or Bats. The Ants work in teams, work with purpose and with effort. The bats scare other people, claim their territory but don't work to bring about change, their effect is negative and abusive. However there are problems with being either an ant or a bat- its not always about survival. The Bats have survived, the ants have not. Why did the ants have to die? they died because they could no longer have vision. The bible says without vision the people perish, the ants lost sight of what they could achieve, the bath was too much for them to climb- but they tried it anyway!!! The moral of my story is... don't be a B(r)at- live life with purpose, achieve what you can to the best of your ability and work with each other, if you die in the process it was not in vain!!! 

No comments: