Monday, September 7, 2009

Desk.

Do you ever think about a word and how it came to life? Say it aloud. Desk. Isn't that a funny word?

So the other day I got to clearing out my Desk and sorting through some papers etc. I find that a desk can be an amazing space, a place where I communicate to myself that learning is fun, that life is to be enjoyed and that work is not a bad thing.

I make my desk a little site for inspiration. It includes my favorite books of the moment, theology books, commentaries and at the moment a book I just adore, 'Where will you be in five years?' (if you don't have it- get it) hand picked drift wood from my two favorite beaches in Australia: Palm and Balmoral, Lilies that my boyfriend gave to me, some pictures that I drew, snippets from decor magazines that I love and recycled jam jars made into pen holders with brown paper labels. I also made a hanging contraption that holds my statement/prayer for the second half of the year.

It reads: 'Turn my stresses into prayers, my frustrations into praises, my fears into faith and my sadness into dancing.'

My desk also holds brochures of things that I want to do, things I need to make time for and my weirdo collection of postcards from Art galleries all around the World. The next few weeks will be the last that I use my desk, I will always have stuff on it- keep it as a home for my laptop, but I wont be sitting at it for the same amount of hours that I have for the past four years, my next 'desk' will be an art studio, a garage, a living room, an easel. Im so captivated by the idea of really getting to do what I have wanted to do my whole life. Theology has been an amazing journey, it has made me a better person, given me vision, allowed me to see God clearly and answered my questions when nobody else could answer me. I love how this desk has changed me, how the endless hours, nights and early mornings of reading on it, sitting by it and leaning on it have made me a better person. I love how it has formed from a plain white Ikea contraption into a place of Hope, Inspiration and Desire. I love my desk, that the possibilities of learning are endless. What's on your desk?

No comments: